54 Answers from Bishop Fellay: the interview
(02-18-2011, 05:12 PM)Gerard Wrote:
(02-18-2011, 04:57 PM)kgurries Wrote: Gerard, the SSPX is not engaged in discussion regarding the private actions of a given Pope.  The discussion have to do with the official texts of Vatican II or Magisterial acts, properly speaking, and not the Pope acting as a private person.  So, the problem remains: Can the Supreme Magisterium, as such, defect from the Faith and Sacred Tradition by teaching heresy, etc.? 

The official texts of Vatican II can have a lot of things in them, among them policies and political statements that are given priority over obscurely written doctrinal points.  Vatican II style ecumenism is not a "doctrine" but somehow the recent Popes pretend to bind the Church to it as "an irreversible course."   That may be their private opinion and their policy as the Supreme governing agent in the Church.  But they can't be bound by it, or bind a successor to it.  A future Pope can bluntly say, "Pope John Paul II may have thought the Church was fostering ecumenical dialogue in an  irreversible manner but I'm in charge and I say all ecumenical offices are going to close and we are stopping "dialogue" with leaders of other false religions." 

Authentic Magisterial acts can be overturned because they are solely human acts not necessarily guided by the Holy Ghost.   (eg. John 22nd's preaching about the dead and the beatific vision being wrong,  or errors in a Catechism that has the approval of a Pope.)

Ok, so let me see if I understand you correctly:

1) Vatican II did NOT teach heresy or contradict the immutables of Faith or Sacred Tradition.  Whatever doctrine it contains is compatible with Faith and Tradition.
2) Vatican II also dealt with non-doctrinal matters -- various contingent pastoral/prudential questions that are necessarily reformable.
3) In some cases these are closely connected.  For example, the teaching on ecumenism may contain elements of doctrine (properly speaking) that are comingled with contingent (policy) aspects.
4) However misguided (2) -- these do not add up to heresy because they are contingent decisions or policies and not dealing directly with the immutables of Faith or morals, per se.

Would you agree or disagree with the above?       

Messages In This Thread
Re: 54 Answers from Bishop Fellay: the interview - by kgurries - 02-18-2011, 05:27 PM