Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph!
(05-11-2011, 10:41 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: ???

Wasn't the May 11 solemnity suppressed when St. Joseph was given a second feast on May 1?

What about March 19?  Isn't that Joseph, Spouse of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Confessor, and Patron of the Universal Church, Double of the I Class?

Yes, the Solemnity was suppressed and St. Joseph was given May 1st. So probably was Bugninin in '55. However, this Solemnity just happens to fall on May 11 this year. It used to be celebrated on the Wednesday after the Second Sunday in Easter. So it used to float around. Also, it used to be celebrated on the 3rd Sunday in Easter.

A couple of reasons for this Solemnity. It is an octave. Sometimes the March 19th Feast Falls on a Sunday. If it is Lent, it will not be celebrated as Sunday's in Lent were not to be touched in the Old Liturgical Calendar. Of course all Sundays no longer give place to a Feast unless it is Christmas these days. I can't think of any other. Maybe the Assumption or the Immaculate Conception. I would have to check.

This Solemnity goes much deeper into the Holy Family and my Breviary, has the Divine Office for the entire week, with what look like very interesting sermons. But, it looks like my online Divine Office resources are moving on tomorrow. Now this I'm confused about. Is the Divine Offfice for this Solemnity within the Octave only to be said after the initial day if we run into a simple Feria during this Octave? Anyone know?

Messages In This Thread
Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph! - by Adam Wayne - 05-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Re: Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph! - by Adam Wayne - 05-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Re: Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph! - by Paul - 05-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Re: Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph! - by Paul - 05-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Re: Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph! - by Paul - 05-14-2011, 03:08 AM
Re: Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph! - by Paul - 05-14-2011, 03:25 AM