Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph!
Basically, I would work with the assumption that for a given feast, you will first use anything that is proper, then take antiphons and psalms from the weekday, everything else from the common.  This covers the vast majority of feasts from greater doubles to simples. 

However, "excepted feasts" use the festal psalms (common or proper at Matins and Vespers, Sunday at the other hours).  Excepted feasts are all doubles (of whatever rank) of the Lord, Our Lady, the Angels, St. John the Baptist, St. Joseph, the Apostles and Evangelists, and all doubles of the I or II class, no matter the saint or mystery.

There are some "partially excepted feasts" which use the festal psalms at Lauds and Vespers only–you recognize these because they have proper antiphons assigned.

The reason the commons have antiphons and psalms, even though they are much less frequently used than the chapter, hymn, etc., is in case a particular feast is celebrated with a higher dignity in certain places, such as your parish's feast of title or the anniversary of the dedication of the cathedral church (both doubles of the I class with a common octave).  Also, it might happen that a feast had been added to the calendar, but you were not in possession of the proper office; thus you would use the common in its stead.  Originally, of course, the entire common was used for feasts–the festal office replaced the entire ferial office, psalter and all.

Messages In This Thread
Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph! - by Adam Wayne - 05-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Re: Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph! - by Paul - 05-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Re: Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph! - by Paul - 05-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Re: Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph! - by aquinas138 - 05-13-2011, 11:53 PM
Re: Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph! - by Paul - 05-14-2011, 03:08 AM
Re: Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph! - by Paul - 05-14-2011, 03:25 AM