Contemplative practices for laypeople?
(05-17-2011, 03:20 PM)3Sanctus Wrote: When looking at things in more depth, check-out the Philokalia and the Ladder of Divine Ascent.

Raskolnikov:  Read the Philokalia!   :)

I certainly plan to. When I was traveling in New Zealand, someone I stayed with early in my trip let me borrow a few volumes of the Philokalia. I lugged them around in my backpack for weeks, and returned them when I passed through his town the second time, but I only read small sections. I really should have read more of it, especially since I spent many hours sitting idly along country roads trying to hitchhike.
Oh well. I'll get a copy for myself eventually. For now I make do with the sections in The Way of a Pilgrim. :)

I've heard many good things about The Ladder of Divine Ascent, I definately need to get a copy of that.

Another good contemplative practice came to mind which I thought might be worth mentioning: Lectio Divina, the contemplative and prayerful reading of Sacred Scripture. Although the Catholic Faith is much bigger than 'just' the books of the Biblical Canon, there is an amazing lot of inspirational, profound, and truly 'awesome' material for contemplation and reflection just within the Gospels... particularly the Gospel of St John.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Contemplative practices for laypeople? - by Raskolnikov - 05-18-2011, 02:43 AM