Contemplative practices for laypeople?
(05-26-2011, 03:38 PM)Graham Wrote:
(05-26-2011, 03:24 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(05-26-2011, 02:57 PM)Graham Wrote: I don't know what centering prayer is, apart from what I read just now on wikipedia. The article said it has its roots in the Desert Fathers, the cloud of unknowing, St. John of the Cross, and St. Teresa of Avila; if we have to leave these sources aside because "centering prayer is invalid", well, good luck finding a contemplative who's valid.

I don't think there is a problem with these historical sources of centering prayer but rather with its modern day practitioners.

I don't think I know any practitioners. What's the problem?

Centering prayer is a heretical practice developed in the 20th century through example and instruction by Buddhist monks.

Christian prayer (such as hesychasm) is not centering prayer. Centering prayer is the focus of the person onto himself, to find feeling, harmony, and strength from one's own being. Christianity is about the relationship and strength that is necessary from God. In our prayers, we seek a relationship with the Divine to strengthen our humanity to become the fullness that we were originally created. In contrast, centering prayer is self-centered meditation determined to produce delusion of one's own abilities.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Contemplative practices for laypeople? - by Azurestone - 05-30-2011, 06:14 PM