Poll: Which ancient Liturgy do you prefer
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Ancient Liturgy Preference (only respond if you have attended both)
(10-05-2011, 01:03 PM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(10-05-2011, 05:13 AM)Melkite Wrote:
(10-05-2011, 01:28 AM)Resurrexi Wrote: No, completely correct. The Council of Trent had no intentions of limiting its definition of the nature of the Mass to the Roman rite; it used the term "Mass" discuss the essence of the Eucharistic Sacrifice, which is the same in every Catholic rite.

By that logic, because the council was conducted in Latin, Latin is the liturgical language of every rite in the Church.  Obviously, a council held by the Latin Church will use Latin.  No one in their right mind construes this to mean Latin terms and customs become the standard for non-Latin rights.  You are plainly wrong on this one.

That's not an accurate description of what I'm saying.

What I am saying is that it is accurate to use the term Mass--the definition of which is the unbloody renewal of Christ's Sacrifice--to refer to the Sacrifice regardless of the rite in which it is celebrated. I implied nothing about the language in which the Eastern liturgies should be celebrated.

If by accurate, you meant that the DL can be correctly defined by using the term mass, I agree.  Certainly someone not familiar with the Eastern rites will know that we refer to them as divine liturgies, so to refer to them as a mass isn't factually incorrect.  But you did also say that it was 'the proper term' which I interpreted as you saying that mass should be the preferred term irrespective of rite.  If that's not what you meant, ok.  If that is what you meant, you are incorrect because we already call it divine liturgy, and there is nothing incorrect in that terminology, so there is no compelling reason for us to call it mass instead.

Messages In This Thread
Ancient Liturgy ... a question - by Peter J - 08-21-2011, 01:41 PM
Re: Ancient Liturgy ... a question - by K3vinhood - 08-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Re: Ancient Liturgy Preference (only respond if you have attended both) - by Melkite - 10-05-2011, 02:15 PM