Canadian Anglicans vote to unite with Rome
(09-11-2011, 10:08 PM)mikemac Wrote: Besides the Anglican Catholic Church of Canada (ACCC) there's also the Anglican Use Catholics in the States.  Apparently the Anglican Use Catholics are in communion with Rome but have been allowed to keep their own liturgy.

Not quite true, but HK, who attends an AU parish could give you more details than I can.

Quote:Father Gruner sent me the first part of a book called 'Russian Sunrise'.  'Russian Sunrise' is a fictional book by Bruce W Walters about a period prior to and after the consecration of Russia.  In the book it compares the Anglican Use Catholics in communion with Rome and keeping their liturgy with the Russian Orthodox coming into communion with Rome and keeping their Mass of Saint Justin Martyr.  Apparently the Mass of Saint Justin Martyr recognizes both the Immaculate Conception and the Filioque.  And apparently the Orthodox Churches haven't made the Immaculate Conception and the Filioque part of their dogma because they haven't been able to bring the nationalistic Orthodox Churches together for a council to declare the dogma without the supremacy of the See of Peter.  Chapter 23 has an excellent dialogue between Pope Nicholas (representing Pope Benedict) and Patriarch Filaret with Pope Nicholas recognizing the suicide of altering the Latin Liturgy (which prevented the Russian Orthodox from coming into communion with Rome as they kept their Slavonic Liturgy untouched) and Patriarch Filaret seeing the folly of nationalism and not recognizing the See of Peter.  The Russian Orthodox would be the 23rd Eastern Catholic Church in communion with Rome that have kept their own liturgy. 

I would love to read the book, but boy, is it fiction! There is no 'Mass of St Justin Martyr'. The Liturgies of the Byzantine East, whether Catholic or Orthodox are those of St John Chysostomos (my name Saint, Jovan Zlatoust in Serbian), St Basil the Great, St James and the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts of Pope St Gregory the Great.

As to the two Dogmas and the failure of the Orthodox to adopt them, the Filioque is a late addition to the Creed which the Orthodox will never recite even if they were to agree to the Western doctrine. The Immaculate Conception is much more complicated, tied up with differences between the East's and West's understanding of original sin , which I can't explain, because I don't understand it myself.

And the Orthodox deny the power of the Pope to call a Council. That is reserved to the Emperor which presents them with a problem since there has been no Emperor since 1453 (1917 if you're a 'Moscow is the Third Rome' man).

Messages In This Thread
Re: Canadian Anglicans vote to unite with Rome - by jovan66102 - 09-11-2011, 11:48 PM