Possessed Priest and Valid Sacraments
(09-29-2011, 10:46 PM)Melkite Wrote: As far as Thomism goes, is Thomism merely a subset of Scholasticism, or has the Thomist model become so thorough in the West that Thomism and Catholic Scholasticism are virtually interchangeable?  Do Latins not even consider it possible that basing all of one's theology off of one or two men might be problematic?  Why is that not a red flag for Latins.

Here's a quote of Pope St. Pius X which may be helpful.  It is from the encyclical  COMMUNIUM RERUM, which was mainly about St. Anselm of Aosta:
"Pope St.  Pius X" Wrote:Anselm laid the foundations of the true principles of philosophical and theological studies which other most learned men, the princes of scholasticism, and chief among them the Doctor of Aquin, followed, developed, illustrated and perfected to the great honor and protection of the Church

Pope St. Pius X elsewhere also says that modernists have "contempt for scholasticism".  The Church in many places teaches the importance of scholasticism and especially St. Thomas who was once taught in all seminaries (I don't know about the Eastern Rite).  The main theological principles of the Church are the same for all Rites; what the Pope says applies to all, and at least can not be held at any level of contempt.

Melkite, you also say:
(09-29-2011, 10:46 PM)Melkite Wrote: I did say earlier that scholasticism is not inherently bad, but only when it is overused and stripped from mysticism.  Does that not count as respect for scholasticism, at least to a degree?  Do you not see it as possible to take Scholasticism to a degree that goes beyond what is correct? 

Of course scholastics  may misunderstand the true principles of scholasticism, or wrongly have contempt for mysticism (and in that sense overuse scholasticism).  But will you in turn admit that "mysticism is not inherently bad, but only when it is overused and stripped from scholasticism".?

The Catholic Church has always praised scholasticism as foundational to her teachings - but this is in no way to put down mysticism.  Shouldn't scholasticism and mysticism join hands instead of being at war with each other? St. Thomas had at least one of the greatest of mystical experiences near the end of his life.

I am no expert (to put it  mildly) on either of these philosophies/views of the world, and I have not been following your discussion with INPEFESS too closely, but I hope what I am saying is at least somewhat pertinent.

Messages In This Thread
Possessed Priest and Valid Sacraments - by Jesse - 09-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Re: Possessed Priest and Valid Sacraments - by Doce Me - 10-01-2011, 01:21 AM