Why do some people receive the gift of faith and not others?
INP, that quote you offered is another reminder for me of something that has had a place in my thoughts a lot recently, that by ourselves we can only do evil and only through God are we capable of doing good, and even at that- non nobis Domine, sed nomini tuo  da gloriam.

However, I don't see how that quote really clears anything up.  Are you saying that God withholds efficacious grace <i>because</i> man has refused sufficient grace?  If this was the case, I could understand.  But otherwise, if the qualifying agent to accept sufficient grace is efficacious grace, then when man rejects he does so not just on his own accord- for he couldn't accept it anyways.  And unless I'm missing something, you can't put grace on hold.  What I mean is that if God dispenses sufficient grace, we cannot simply wait until we get efficacious grace to use it.  We either reject it or we accept it.  And if we cannot accept sufficient grace without efficacious grace and if efficacious grace is not given to all, then we are back at square one where man is making decisions <i>not</i> between God and evil, but he's simply choosing evil because he hasn't the propensity to chose God.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why do some people receive the gift of faith and not others? - by Mithrandylan - 01-10-2012, 12:06 AM