Baptism of Desire and Theological Principles by Fr. Cekada
Stubborn- I think that would be a working definition, yes.  It has meant things to me over time, started as a very wide, all encompassing "just try your best and you'll be fine" sort of thing when I first started really getting into the faith.

Now, I believe in BOD but the only person that I can ever say to have experienced it was St. Dismus.  He was never baptized and yet Christ promise him a spot in Heaven.  Unless scripture is wrong.

BOD is a tough thing to discuss for a couple reasons, but I think the main reason is that it's existence is a haven for modernists to essentially destroy any reality of EENS.  That's why modernists love the idea of BOD because they can twist it to mean that Catholicism is unnecesary for salvation.  On the other hand, a lot of trads reject it simply on the principle of how it's used by modernsits, and not what it actally means by itself. 

I accept BOD as a very rare occurance.  And the only reason I do is because it's in scripture.  I think that for the majority of us, we should look at Matthew 7:7

Matthew 7:7 Wrote:Ask, and it shall be given you: seek, and you shall find: knock, and it shall be opened to you. [8] For every one that asketh, receiveth: and he that seeketh, findeth: and to him that knocketh, it shall be opened.

Those who seek baptism will find it.  Those who desire it will be given it. 
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Baptism of Desire and Theological Principles by Fr. Cekada - by Mithrandylan - 12-29-2011, 10:10 AM