Baptism of Desire and Theological Principles by Fr. Cekada
(12-29-2011, 12:51 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote: The problem in your original post, Stubborn, is your assumption that your interpretation of Trent is correct while simultaneously the unanimous interpretation of Catholic theologians from the the time of Trent up to the eve of the Second Vatican Council, a span of nearly 400 years, has been incorrect.  Evidence long before and ever after the Council of Trent shows the Church's acceptance of BOD, so it seems highly unlikely that Trent infallibly ruled it out.  You should accept the possibility that your lone interpretation is the incorrect one.

My assumption that my interpretation of Trent is correct is because it says what it says. Why others read it and see what is not there is beyond me - regardless, in the interest of seeking for the truth,  I am willing and ready to accept that I am wrong - but there ain't nobody going to convince me that Trent says there is such a thing as BOD - much less that Trent defines it.
No where in any authoritative Church teachings is salvation without baptism taught. And if perchance I am wrong - and I certainly am open to that distinct possibility - no one has yet been able to produce any evidence that such a teaching exists. IF it exists at all, it would contradict what has already been declared infallibly, which is why I say that it does not exist. Which is why I asked to which authority are we bound when there is a contradiction.   

So it seems that you are saying  that there is not one definitive definition of what the BOD is, yet the fathers hold unanimous in the belief of it. Ok, if that's what you're saying, then it makes as much sense as anything I suppose.

I guess my first question would be, how is it possible to have a unanimous belief about something that has numerous different definitions? - or  -
is the definition I supplied in the OP the same definition of BOD that all the fathers believe unanimously? - or -
what is the definition they all believe unanimously?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Baptism of Desire and Theological Principles by Fr. Cekada - by Stubborn - 12-29-2011, 02:47 PM