Baptism of Desire and Theological Principles by Fr. Cekada
(12-29-2011, 03:57 PM)Stubborn Wrote:
(12-29-2011, 03:46 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(12-29-2011, 03:38 PM)Stubborn Wrote:
(12-29-2011, 03:29 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: What is the consequence for embracing BoD? Would a high level clergyman like Lefebvre been in mortal sin for embracing it?

I don't know what the consequence is or if people who embrace it commit Mortal Sin or not - that's for God or the Pope to say IMO.

Fr. Wathen wrote: the most forceful argument of all: to the fact that the consensus of theologians, living and dead, was that this view should be accepted as proxima fidei, which means that it is "nearly a doctrine."

This makes probably the most sense to me (I don't expect others will feel the same) in that because so many people believe in some version of BOD that there may well be no sin involved - hell, I dunno - I'm wanting to know who the hell are we supposed to believe myself lol

According to Father Cekada's chart that would mean it would be a mortal sin, which would lead to damnation.  It has often been pointed out here that prelates can't make an excuse based on ignorance because they should certainly know better. 

If the widespread belief of an error limits the sin involved, by that standard there would be no sin regarding holding a lot of the errors running around the church.

What are we supposed to believe? What the Church tell us. 

I agree error is error etc. -  but in this case, because *I believe* BOD *could be* proxima fidei or "nearly a doctrine" that there could be an exception because of who has been teaching it, namely, the Ordinary Magisterium. Either that the whole thing is a conspiracy theory that started after the modernists resurfaced 100 years ago and added BOD to all the catechisms and etc. which I don't buy.

So yes, what are we bound to? The certainly de fide teachings or the teachings of the Ordinary Magisterium?

Well, think about it this way.  Who has a better grasp of the faith? You or Archbishop Lefebvre?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Baptism of Desire and Theological Principles by Fr. Cekada - by Someone1776 - 12-29-2011, 04:31 PM