Baptism of Desire and Theological Principles by Fr. Cekada
(12-29-2011, 06:12 PM)Jenn Wrote:
(12-29-2011, 05:40 PM)Parmandur Wrote:  To deny BoD is loopy and contrary to the Faith, and as the good Father in the OP pointed out, arguably a mortal sin. 

I had no idea that The Council of Trent was making infallible statements contrary to the Faith....

"If anyone says that true and natural water is not necessary for Baptism and thus twists into some metaphor the words of our Lord Jesus Christ: 'Unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Ghost,' let him be anathema."

There is no other way to read this. It says "true and natural water". It says no "twisting into some metaphor". To deny that this means exactly what it says it means is indeed twisting it into a metaphor. The mental gymnastics required to reconcile this with BOD takes more energy than I've got.

Now if the day ever comes where someone can show me where BOD was formally defined, I will reconsider my position. Until then, as a Catholic I am required to believe that true and natural water is necessary for Baptism.

Who said it isn't?  But as the Catechism of Trent itself affirms, BoD is an open possibility, and even reality.  And the Roman Catechism says the the dispensation of Baptism began with the Lord's Baptism, not the Ascension.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Baptism of Desire and Theological Principles by Fr. Cekada - by Parmandur - 12-29-2011, 06:32 PM