Baptism of Desire: Avoiding the Red Herrings on a Nearby Thread
(02-02-2012, 04:17 AM)Gregory I Wrote: Neither of them directly answered that question. YOu seem sure of every OTHER answer you give me, why so hesitant all of a sudden?

When Jesus says "Truly, I say unto you; unless a man is born of water and the spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God."

How should THAT VERSE be interpreted for those who die justified without water baptism? Literally, or metaphorically?

In addition, if a person Dies justified by his desire for baptism, is baptism optional for him, since he is already justified?

Your inability to answer the question PRECISELY the way I phrased it simply demonstrates your bad will.

However, I will give you a chance to show some GOOD will:

What do those questions mean?

Jesus says "Truly, I say unto you; unless a man is born of water and the spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God."

If I say "unless this plant is watered, it will die" or "water is necessary for a plant" am I speaking metaphorically? Or aren't  I  rather allowing an unspoken exception: God can make the plant  thrive without water?  Infrequent exceptions or substitutions are often not mentioned in human speech.  Christ is speaking to humans.  He has good reasons for not mentioning any exceptions - it would detract from the main  command.  The words of Christ are not whispered between the Persons of the Trinity, binding them to water, they are spoken by Christ to man. 

Baptism is not an option.  If a man would receive baptism of desire sometime before death, and all impediments were then removed, he would still bound by the commandment for the sacrament!  Baptism of desire is an exception to the need for the Sacrament only if a man dies before he is able to receive the Sacrament.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Baptism of Desire: Avoiding the Red Herrings on a Nearby Thread - by Doce Me - 02-02-2012, 06:51 PM