Our Lady of X... have mercy on us?
I wanted to help to better understand prayers that address the Blessed Virgin and her "mercy."  What comes to mind immediately is the Memorarae. which ends ... and in thy mercy hear and answer us/our petitions."  I've heard other prayers that I can't think of that address Our Lady in the context of mercy as well although can't think of them at the moment.

Obviously we revere Mary more than any other saint, but something doesn't sit right when I hear/read/say a prayer asking for her mercy because it seems that is God's to give, hence why it's "Name of God <i>have mercy on us</i>" and "Name of saint <i>pray for us.</i>" 

We ask for saints and Mary's intercession as a kind of intermediary between us and God, right?  It is <b>not</b> because a particular saint or the BVM can grant anything that isn't God's will anyways.  Our Lady isn't a way of getting around God, and same with the saints- their will is uniformed to His, so when we pray to them, whatever miracles God would work through them He choses to work through them, He doesn't "change His mind" or "decide" to because they had some influence on Him, it's as He has already ordained it to be.  He will have mercy on whom He will have mercy, it doesn't seem correct that we would ask for a saint's mercy because they don't have it in any useful capacity, right?

So why do we ask for the Blessed Virgin's mercy?
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.

Messages In This Thread
Our Lady of X... have mercy on us? - by Mithrandylan - 01-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Re: Our Lady of X... have mercy on us? - by SCG - 01-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Re: Our Lady of X... have mercy on us? - by SCG - 01-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Re: Our Lady of X... have mercy on us? - by SCG - 01-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Re: Our Lady of X... have mercy on us? - by SCG - 01-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Re: Our Lady of X... have mercy on us? - by Tim - 01-08-2012, 09:01 AM
Re: Our Lady of X... have mercy on us? - by DJR - 01-08-2012, 11:46 PM