St. Maximus On Deification
According to St Thomas: Because we have intellectual souls when we know God (perceive, see), we do not lose ourselves in knowing Him, but we become one with Him. So for instance, when I see the form of a cat, I become one with that cat, even though I still exist separately -- we possess its form in our souls. He distinguished two forms of knowledge. One is natural, such as the sensation of heat which in the sensation it heats something else, like being burned, i.e., there is a physical alteration, I become heated when I sense heat. But when we spiritually know something with our souls we retain our own existence, but there is a spiritual alteration, which actually in itself makes sensation possible. In this case we would add mental perception of "pain" over and above the natural heating of our skin. Otherwise it would be tantamount to heating a dead limb laying on the ground. The skin knows nothing in itself. In the case of God, in knowing Him we are united with Him, but we still exist. In this life there is the material body making this union incomplete, but in the next life our bodies are spiritual, and the union can be complete. The Church says we will never fully comprehend Him, but it says quite clearly that we are united to Him in heaven. Now the task is stripping away delusion concerning God, and knowing Him with a clean heart, as our Lord says in the beatitudes. We've got to make it so that when the day of death comes, there is nothing weighing our souls down, nor any spot in our eyes.

Messages In This Thread
Re: St. Maximus On Deification - by shin - 02-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Re: St. Maximus On Deification - by Parmandur - 02-02-2012, 03:50 AM
Re: St. Maximus On Deification - by Scriptorium - 02-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Re: St. Maximus On Deification - by Graham - 02-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Re: St. Maximus On Deification - by Graham - 02-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Re: St. Maximus On Deification - by Parmandur - 02-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Re: St. Maximus On Deification - by Scriptorium - 02-02-2012, 06:14 PM