Souls in heaven rejoicing at the sight of the damned?
(02-05-2012, 10:20 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(02-05-2012, 09:14 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: There's nothing "morbid" about theology. You're all having a knee jerk reaction without even considering the theological concepts behind it.

It's not like the elect are laughing at the damned like spoiled children in the schoolyard but that they rightfully rejoice in God's justice. Who wouldn't, after all? God's justice is perfect.

God's justice is perfect, but the vision of God mocking the damned comes, in this case, from the priest taking the passage literally. The Bible is full of anthropomorphism and hyperbole. The same Bible that says “God hated Esau” also says “God is love.” I'm willing to let the theologians fight it out, but I reserve the right to reject any theological concept that seems to distort God's nature.

The mocking is used to describe God in terms of human understanding. After all, God is directly quoted as mocking Adam in Genesis.

Genesis 3:22 Wrote:And he said: Behold Adam is become as one of us, knowing good and evil:

Likewise, God cutting down the proud is often cited. Furthermore:

Isaias  55:8 Wrote:For my thoughts are not your thoughts: nor your ways my ways, saith the Lord.

And the Lord said: Thou art grieved for the ivy, for which thou hast not laboured, nor made it to grow, which in one night came up, and in one night perished.

Likewise, to overcome the seeming pettiness of God which one may be inclined to see in these clearly worded passages:

Jonas 4:10-11 Wrote:And the Lord said: Thou art grieved for the ivy, for which thou hast not laboured, nor made it to grow, which in one night came up, and in one night perished. And shall not I spare Ninive, that great city, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand persons that know not how to distinguish between their right hand and their left, and many beasts?

Clearly, this is a reflection of God's perfect justice and our ignorance.

This the reason for the General Judgement.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Souls in heaven rejoicing at the sight of the damned? - by Historian - 02-05-2012, 10:30 PM