The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas
(02-11-2012, 11:07 AM)Illumina Wrote: Anyway, this is a topic that really interests me and pains me as well.  As a new convert, it is disheartening for me especially to read about how some Eastern Catholics view Papal Supremacy, which seem to reduce the Pope to nothing more than the head of the Latin Church, with some minor say over the Eastern Churches. It is very confusing.

Try to think of it like this:  the Pope has the authority to do whatever he wants administratively.  If he wants a certain bishop to be elected to a particular diocese, no one can stop him.  But what he has the right to do is not always the prudent thing to do.  It is the custom in the East, and also was in the West until Vatican 1 I think, for bishops to be elected by the bishops of their neighboring dioceses, and then the newly elected bishops sends notification of his election to the Pope.  It usually is not prudent for the Pope to step in and do what other bishops can do on their own.  The Pope has greater administrative authority, but sacramentally he is on an equal footing with every other bishop.  The Pope is both father AND first among equals - the two aren't necessarily incompatible.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas - by Melkite - 02-11-2012, 01:49 PM