The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas
(02-11-2012, 03:08 PM)Melkite Wrote:
(02-11-2012, 02:22 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: It makes sense to me.  Obviously the papal system of direct appointment of bishops has led to horrific appointments in many places.  Especially for the East, but in general everywhere, I'd be fine with the bishops being chosen locally, provided the right of the pope to directly intervene when the bishop is seriously problematic is preserved.  By problematic I suppose I mean heretic, or morally reprobate.

Exactly, and that's why the Pope needs to have that authority.  Synodal agreements are all well and good, but as history shows with previous heresies, occasionally a synod will be at an impasse, and in that sitaution, an executive decision is required.

There would also localized blame.  The Pope in Rome is not blamed for failures of bishops (as now they quite legitimately are). 

The thing is that in the West I could not imagine this system working right now.  Can you imagine what kind of ridiculous priests most chancery officials would choose in most Western dioceses?

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Eastern Churches and St. Thomas Aquinas - by newyorkcatholic - 02-11-2012, 03:24 PM