My Bishop's letter
This is Bishop Malone of Portland Maine's letter in regards to the un-Constitutional contraceptive mandate the Commiecrats have forced on us...

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

I write to you today out of a profound sense of concern and dismay regarding the recent decision made by the President of the United States to impose a mandate on religious institutions that is a blatant disregard of our constitutionally protected right of religious freedom. I speak of the Department of Health and Human Services’ ruling which mandates that all health insurance plans include coverage of contraceptives, sterilization services, and the morning-after pill, which can induce an abortion. As written, the ruling does include a very narrow exception for religious organizations. However, that definition is so narrow that many religious organizations will not qualify.

In order to be exempt, a religious organization must meet four conditions:

First, it must “have as its primary purpose the inculcation of religious values as its purpose.”

Second, it must “primarily employ persons who share its religious tenets.”

Third, it must “primarily serve people who share its religious tenets.”

Fourth, it must “be a not-for-profit.”

This unprecedented, exceedingly narrow definition places many Catholic institutions and those of other religious organizations at peril. Although this definition may include parishes, other institutions such as Catholic Charities, Catholic hospitals, nursing homes--even our Catholic schools--would be forced to comply.

What are our options? Either ignore our conscience and comply, which is, of course, out of the question, or stop providing health benefits to our employees. This too, is unconscionable. I hope you can appreciate the gravity of this situation and the impossible position in which it places us.

There is little question that the issue of contraception, sterilization, and the morning-after pill is a grave concern. However, the overriding concern that has profound ramifications at this moment is the administration’s disregard for fundamental religious rights. With the stroke of a pen, the administration has violated our right to act in keeping with our conscience. Religious freedom without government intrusion is a founding principle of this country; it is a freedom that is protected by the First Amendment in the Bill of Rights.

As a community of faith we must act on this matter courageously, decisively and promptly. More information can be found on the diocesan website and on the USCCB website. Additionally, call-to-action materials will be provided to you soon. Do not hesitate to contact Marc Mutty, director of the Office of Public Affairs at the Chancery, should you have questions or concerns.

Let us all pray that the Holy Spirit will guide us as we face such daunting challenges before us.

Sincerely yours in Christ,

[Image: malonesignature.jpg]

Most Reverend Richard J. Malone
Bishop of Portland

Messages In This Thread
My Bishop's letter - by Petertherock - 02-06-2012, 12:41 AM
Re: My Bishop's letter - by The Dying Flutchman - 02-06-2012, 12:49 AM
Re: My Bishop's letter - by Petertherock - 02-06-2012, 02:06 AM
Re: My Bishop's letter - by The Curt Jester - 02-06-2012, 02:19 AM
Re: My Bishop's letter - by Tapatio - 02-06-2012, 03:44 AM
Re: My Bishop's letter - by AdOrientem - 02-06-2012, 09:18 AM
Re: My Bishop's letter - by Petertherock - 02-06-2012, 10:16 AM