St. Thomas and Sola Scriptura
(06-25-2012, 11:32 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Scripture does not point to tradition as another source of dogma. All the traditions that the Apostles urged to be kept (2 Thess. 2:14) are nothing else than the Apostolic teaching that was later written down and perpetuated to the end of time in Scripture. Irenaeus plainly states it: "The apostles at that time first preached the Gospel but later by the will of God, they delivered it to us in the Scriptures, that it might be the foundation and pillar of our faith." (Against Heresies 3,1) There's no other source out there. And the fact is, not even Rome can really point out what dogmas are contained in Tradition today that must be believed. It's just something that is made up as time goes along. They can always point to Tradition for justification of their new dogmas and if there are voices against them in the historical record, they can always dismiss them as "non-infallible." It's a sure method for endless spiritual tyranny.

St. Thomas is just building upon the ancient practice of the Church that considered Scripture as the only or perhaps the final authority to decide matters of faith. The Church Fathers did the same thing in their writings. The principle of sola scriptura was not devised in the 16th century, no matter what common apologetics like to tell you.

I would appreciate it if you would not derail my thread.

I am trying to figure out if and how it's possible to reconcile St. Thomas with the two-font conception of divine revelation proposed by Vatican I.

Messages In This Thread
St. Thomas and Sola Scriptura - by Resurrexi - 06-25-2012, 02:50 AM
Re: St. Thomas and Sola Scriptura - by INPEFESS - 06-25-2012, 03:43 AM
Re: St. Thomas and Sola Scriptura - by INPEFESS - 06-25-2012, 06:07 AM
Re: St. Thomas and Sola Scriptura - by Resurrexi - 06-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Re: St. Thomas and Sola Scriptura - by INPEFESS - 06-25-2012, 11:27 PM