Dealing with apparent contradictions in Church teaching
(08-22-2012, 11:29 AM)Scriptorium Wrote: Yes, I said we are just as prone. I did not say more prone, or less prone than humanity.

Yes, you're right. I apologize if I seemed to jump on you.

Quote:Since this is a self-criticism of the movement I believe I am part of, it is admitting that we should not overlook our own blindspots.

Of course, but a lot of Catholics who call themselves "trads" here are the ones who are always saying that traditional Catholics in particular are just rumor mongerers and the like. I must have misinterpreted what you were trying to say. I apologize for that.
Quote: That is why in my own life I have purposely engaged many of these problematic texts, people, doctrines, etc., and went beyond the talking-points and soundbites. It has lessened my credence of the popular traditional Catholic polemic. I just simply wasn't convinced in some instances when I put the claims to the test. I now think that many of the criticisms, while still being valid in part, should be examined from a point of skepticism. I think that traditional Catholics in general are way too accepting of what comes from the main sources of polemic, and we should put these things to the test as we would the works of the current Popes. We can't walk around with the idea that we're right, our interpretation is right, and anything our friends say and write is right. I was often struck when I talked to people about VII, the New Mass, the theology and teachings of the Popes, and such like, and they really were never acquainted with the stuff first hand, but just filtered through the polemic. Read the VII texts first hand. Read a commentary on them. Read the CCC. Read the Pope's works. Read the encyclicals, etc. Read their defenses. Also read the past works first hand too. SaintSebastian, for instance, gave the quote from Leo XIII about engaging with non-Catholics. That was enlightening. This builds up a complete picture, and helps us divorce the emotion of not wanting to disagree with the leading-lights of the traditionalist movement. Of course, we should have those works in the mix too, but only reading traditionalist articles and books creates a type of myopia and disconnect, which doesn't even give us the proper tools to judge because we're limited to our small crop of supporting texts. Widen it out. Look at the whole scope of tradition. It's like the few Catholics I've met that thought eastern rites were not Catholic because they weren't the traditional Roman Mass. Obviously a little dispassionate study would resolve this. So we need to realize we are just as prone to these tendencies as NO Catholics, liberal abortion supporters, and the whole nine yards. Perhaps this can be added to the ways to "deal with contradiction".

I didn't propose reading only traditional apologetic material. I apologize if I've given that impression. It couldn't be further from the truth. I read the counter-arguments for the very purpose of knowing truth from error. I don't think anyone here is proposing that you read only traditional material.

But there are a lot of errors of reasoning in the above paragraph.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Dealing with apparent contradictions in Church teaching - by INPEFESS - 08-22-2012, 11:58 AM