The Little Number of Those Who Are Saved
I must admit this troubles me.  Like others, I've seen and read this before.  The whole 144,000 thing is particularly worrisome for two reasons:

First, because the text itself implies that 144,000 go to heaven, the other 99.999999999999% of us to hell. 

Second, because of the way modern priests always - and I do mean always - casually dismiss it with a wave of the arm and something trite like "Oh never mind the number, that was just a really big number back then.  Today, it would be billions and billions".  [NB: this was the actual homily I heard last time]

I also agree that there has been a grave loss of understanding of the concept of imperfect contrition.  I have sometimes, despite prayer, not felt sorry in the least for certain sins.  But I 1) knew they were sins, 2) fear hell and 3) genuinely intend to stop committing them.  So, I would confess but make it clear that my contrition for those sins was imperfect.  Priests, generally, don't know what I mean and I have to explain it to them.  Clearly, the subject never came up during seven years of whatever the heck they were doing in seminary (zen? meditation? ecumenism?)

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Little Number of Those Who Are Saved - by Allan - 12-07-2012, 12:13 PM