Share recipes and cookbooks for Lent
I have not gotten around to looking up some of the good Lenten recipies I have from an Orthodox cookbook, but as I was in a rush last night to throw something together for lunch today and tomorrow (Sat. and Sun.) for the working weekend my improvision from what was available in the cupboard was rather tastey IMHO:

1-1/2 cups lentils
5 cups water
I 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (Safeway Kitchens Italian Style)
1/3 lb. Chiocciole pasta (sorta like "sea shells" but bigger)
1 onion chopped up

I put the lentils, water, tomatoes, onion in the crock pot over night on high, with Worchestershire sauce, 3 bay leaves, cumin, minced garlic, salt, pepper.

I cooked the pasta on the side "al dente".  I will not add this to the soup until the morrow (otherwise it gets all mushy).  I would normally dress it with butter or olive oil so it wouldn't be all "stickey".  It being Lent and all I dressed the pasta with some liquid stock from the soup before putting it in a sealed container in the fridge for the night.  That worked well.

In the morning I combined the pasta with the soup and there was my lunch to take to work!

For this kind of soup I would typically add some chopped up celery but was not in the mood to go to the store for that.  It was still good though.

I have another lenten soup I'm making for the parish soup supper after Stations this Wed. that I'lll post later (pasta and clams ~ no dairy).

Messages In This Thread
Re: Share recipes and cookbooks for Lent - by moneil - 03-03-2013, 12:15 AM