JFK, abortion, and the usual suspects
1. Kennedy based his Catholic speech on a statement released by the American Catholic Bishops in 1948.  If someone was to be excommunicated, I am not sure why it would be the guy who was just repeating what his church leaders had taught him.

2. Pope Leo XIII noted that separation of Church and State was good in America as it allowed Catholics to practice their faith in an overwhelmingly Protestant Country.  The error is in wanting to use American model as an absolute to be applied on all counties, especially Catholic ones.   Interestingly enough, Kennedy's speech never calls for a universal right to religious liberty and quietly notes the situation is different in other countries, and explains that in Catholic Countries like Ireland there is not tyranny.

3. Also Kennedy didn't say he would completely ignore his faith in office. He said:

Quote:But if the time should ever come--and I do not concede any conflict to be even remotely possible--when my office would require me to either violate my conscience or violate the national interest, then I would resign the office; and I hope any conscientious public servant would do the same.

But I do not intend to apologize for these views to my critics of either Catholic or Protestant faith--nor do I intend to disavow either my views or my church in order to win this election. 

4. Kennedy's speech is open to criticism and the Jesuits of American Magazine did criticize it for going too far. But, you can't blame the speech for ushering in abortion on demand and other evils. 

Messages In This Thread
Re: JFK, abortion, and the usual suspects - by Someone1776 - 02-16-2013, 12:21 AM