Question about Atkins
I think there is a right and wrong way to do just about any diet. Atkins is a very healthy diet for most people, but you have to do the cooking and not buy the junk food bars. They defeat the purpose. Same with bacon and other high fat foods. Atkins is not carte blanche to load up on all these salty, fatty foods, even though they are so yummy. [Image: gimmefood.gif] 

Atkins is not a low fat diet, to be sure. It is not high protein, either. It is low-carb. To be successful on a low-carb diet you have to skip the low-fat items because they are full of sugars to make up for their lack of flavor. It is better to make your own salad dressings, etc., so you can choose healthier fats like olive oil. Most store bought dressings have soybean oil and corn syrup in them. Low-fat dressings have mostly corn syrup.

Atkins also calls for veggies, lots of veggies. Even on induction you are supposed to eat 3 cups of veggies a day. Most people shouldn't stay on induction for longer than the recommended 2 weeks without consulting their physician. I stayed on it for 2-3 weeks then started adding carbs back in. The hardest part of the diet is finding the right ratio of carbs and proteins to maintain an ideal weight range.

I have not heard of any doctor (except the book writing low-fat champions) say anything but good about Atkins. Dr. Atkins was a cardiologist himself. Even the hospital-run weight loss center in my area uses Atkins, or a modified version of it, depending on the client. The Atkins diet is beneficial for most people because it lowers insulin levels. It was recommended to me when I was pregnant to control weight gain, it is safe for nursing mothers, and it helped me lose alot of weight, 55 lbs.

Some of the benefits I experienced were getting to throw away a prescription of diuretics (diuretics are a great way to have a heart attack) and my blood pressure is perfect, without medication. If I eat something with grains, I start retaining water again. If I feel like I need something sweet I try to stick with berries, but I love chocolate and dark chocolate is a treat that I indulge in every so often. If I eat too much sweet stuff, I start craving it, and end up in a yo-yo effect which is very unhealthy. I had to learn my limitations and stick within them, which is probably true for any diet.

Btw, my sister is a low-fat dieter.  She was only successful in her effort several years ago when she ran in marathons. She has terrible cholesterol levels and is obese, but still stays on a low-fat diet. I think it is going to end up killing her. I got her to try Atkins, but she only stayed on it a few days because she felt awful as her insulin levels began to decline. (Carbs trigger insulin production, protein and fats don't, so the levels decline.) Still, she was surprised at how quickly she lost weight, even in a few days. I hope she will find something healthier than her low-fat diet soon. I suspect that she was trying to do Atkins without fats, which leaves nothing for energy.

Ok, I am done rambling. LOL. Good luck to everyone in their dieting endeavors. I wonder if there is a patron saint for dieters. [Image: angel.gif]

I have a question:

What does everyone do for exercise with their diets? We learned in anatomy and physiology that exercise is more important than dietary factors when it comes to cardiovascular health because of anastomosis. When we exercise, we use more oxygen, and our body responds by building more capillary connections to accomodate the increased demand. With more cardiovascular connections there is less chance of sustaining major damage from a blockage (heart attack) That is why couch potatoes have more and more serious heart attacks than active people, no matter what diet they are on.

S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.

Messages In This Thread
Question about Atkins - by jujyfruit06 - 05-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Question about Atkins - by Historian - 05-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Question about Atkins - by miss_fluffy - 05-10-2006, 10:24 AM
Question about Atkins - by jujyfruit06 - 05-10-2006, 10:28 AM
Question about Atkins - by Historian - 05-10-2006, 10:31 AM
Question about Atkins - by Historian - 05-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Question about Atkins - by AdoramusTeChriste - 05-10-2006, 10:27 PM
Question about Atkins - by AdoramusTeChriste - 05-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Question about Atkins - by jujyfruit06 - 05-10-2006, 10:56 PM
Question about Atkins - by Historian - 05-11-2006, 08:37 AM
Question about Atkins - by Varus - 05-12-2006, 11:20 AM