A Sudden and Unprovided Death
(04-17-2013, 08:55 AM)Vincentius Wrote: Suppose that a person has committted a mortal sin and in the course of a day in his life he meets with an accident (car wreck, bad fall, etc.) and goes into a coma and never revives.   His mortal sin remains, right?  And being in a state of unconsciousness he cannot seek repentance (or make an act of perfect contrition). This person may be said to have perished and not saved.  However, at this moment we leave the matter of his salvation to the Justice of God, as we cannot judge this situation.   This is another instance of a sudden and unprovided death.

Any thoughts? 

We have to reconcile this with the Scriptures:

Is it my will that a sinner should die, saith the Lord God, and not that he should be converted from his ways, and live? Ezekiel 18:23

God who wants all people to be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth. 1 Timothy 2:4

My thoughts: As a child I was often told that a sudden death is a "bad sign." But sudden deaths are not necessarily "unprovided for." Wasn't St. Thomas Beckett murdered while saying Mass? According to St. Francis de Sales, you don't have to be in the act of a good act, or consciously thinking about God, if lightning strikes and you die suddenly, or if you die peacefully in your sleep. A holy man takes his charity with him.   

As for those who are not quite ready to meet their maker, we musn't forget that God knows that day of their demise... and I believe he provides for them.

Messages In This Thread
A Sudden and Unprovided Death - by Vincentius - 04-17-2013, 08:55 AM
Re: A Sudden and Unprovided Death - by SCG - 04-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Re: A Sudden and Unprovided Death - by Felix E - 04-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Re: A Sudden and Unprovided Death - by Vincentius - 04-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Re: A Sudden and Unprovided Death - by Tim - 04-17-2013, 11:07 AM
Re: A Sudden and Unprovided Death - by SCG - 04-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Re: A Sudden and Unprovided Death - by Vincentius - 04-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Re: A Sudden and Unprovided Death - by DrBombay - 04-17-2013, 09:14 PM
Re: A Sudden and Unprovided Death - by DustinsDad - 04-17-2013, 09:29 PM