What species orientation are you?
(08-05-2013, 08:06 AM)2Vermont Wrote: But you did say I used to be right.  Your premise that I can not use the excuse of ignorance is based on your opinion that I used to be right (ie, I used to agree with you) and that obviously I'm wrong now. 

Yes, I think you are wrong.  You seem to think it was uncharitable for me to say this.

(08-05-2013, 08:06 AM)2Vermont Wrote: You SHOULD be deeply upset by the criticism of the Pope.  However, you should be upset because those who are criticizing the Pope are faithful Catholics who don't enjoy it and who wish there was nothing to criticize. They are disheartened by the state of the Church.  They have good reasons to be critical.  If there are traditional Catholics who are criticizing the Pope, that IS disturbing.  However, it shows just how bad things are right now.  Instead of wagging fingers at those who bring up concerns or question things that the Pope says, perhaps you could try to see it from their point of view and how, just maybe, this isn't just the media's fault (or anyone else's fault).  Maybe, just maybe, the Church and the Pope are wrong at times.

I would not be troubled by an occasional respectful criticism of the Pope.  However, every single thing this pope does and says gets attacked by people who call themselves traditional Catholics.  Everything is given the worse possible interpretation.  This attitude is pervasive in the trad online presence to the point it is practically our identifying characteristic.  That is simply wrong.  There is nothing traditionally Catholic about this sort of  hostility to the Pope. 

(08-05-2013, 08:06 AM)2Vermont Wrote: This is what I meant by I used to be like you.  There was NOTHING a person could say that could be right when they criticized the Pope. I ALWAYS defended the Pope.  The Pope was ALWAYS right.  He could do no wrong.

This may be what you used to think, but it is not my position.  If that is what you thought, you were not like me. 

(08-05-2013, 08:06 AM)2Vermont Wrote: I now know that just because someone criticizes the Pope and the Church doesn't necessarily mean they are wrong.  It doesn't necessarily mean they are ignorant.  Sometimes it could mean that they are right.  And that it's time for me to stop burying my head in the sand. 

I do not automatically assume that people who are criticizing the Pope are wrong.  It is what I regularly observe when I read their posts.  A significant proportion of the criticisms are unjustified, often based on acceptance of media spin rather actual positions of the Pope.  Another thing that is often wrong is the way the criticism is made.  I have seen a lot of disrespect and rudeness expressed toward the Pope.

I am not burying my head in the sand.  I am looking around, seeing what is happening, understanding what I read, and thinking about it.  Often I will back up my claims about what the Pope is actually saying by quoting him, only to be told that I am refusing to see the truth.  These people do not back up their own positions, just dismiss mine as willful blindness. 

I am wondering if I need a break from forums.  I am constantly feeling so much anger and frustration that I am finding it difficult to write kindly.

Messages In This Thread
What species orientation are you? - by Basilios - 08-03-2013, 03:08 AM
Re: What species orientation are you? - by frater - 08-03-2013, 08:32 AM
Re: What species orientation are you? - by frater - 08-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Re: What species orientation are you? - by Tim - 08-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Re: What species orientation are you? - by frater - 08-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Re: What species orientation are you? - by Whitey - 08-03-2013, 02:58 PM
Re: What species orientation are you? - by JayneK - 08-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Re: What species orientation are you? - by JayneK - 08-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Re: What species orientation are you? - by JayneK - 08-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Re: What species orientation are you? - by JayneK - 08-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Re: What species orientation are you? - by JayneK - 08-05-2013, 01:38 PM