Pope Francis is shaking things up, and the Conservatives don't like it
(08-21-2013, 02:53 PM)Virgil the Roman Wrote: Just make sure that you're on the same page religion-wise; if she's anti-traditional or antagonistic toward it, you're not going to be in for a happy marriage.

Oh no, she's not anti-traditional. The issue is simply that she doesn't.... "get it." Like she doesn't understand it, she doesn't see why I say any of the things I say. She doesn't see why the NO is problematic or why the TLM is such an incredible thing. She just isn't there yet. To her, clapping your hands about Jesus is great because Jesus is worth celebrating. A priest saying heretical things doesn't register in her mind, so long as the guy is a genuinely nice man who says good things about Jesus, because where we're from, you were either a Christian praising Jesus or an atheist condemning him as a bigoted phony. If anyone said anything positive at all about Jesus, it was like "finally, a friend!" Christianity was such a minority that even the most heterodox was your ally in the fight against persecution... At least that's what we thought at the time, I'm not sure I'd agree with that any more, maybe, maybe not. We've grown up and changed so much in the past 10 years. We were children when we meant. I mean literally we were children. I remember being a child and finding myself for the first time praying, asking God to "meet my future wife even if she doesn't like me yet." And I met her a couple weeks later. And I knew when I met her that I never wanted to be apart from her. She had the biggest smile on her face when I met her. At one point I thought she was actually an angel. For nearly half of my life she was my only friend. I can't tell you how happy I am to finally marry her. But I'm not even close  to being the same person I was then. I'm so radically different, and she's... just not there yet. Three to four years ago I could not have told you a single difference between Catholicism and Protestantism. I thought people were just Christians or atheists. She tries to catch up but just doesn't get it. It doesn't help that her parents are thoroughly liberals and her dad abandoned the faith altogether long ago.

Eventually, she usually jumps on my bandwagon, but it takes a long time. I remember first feeling "victorious" when I convinced her not to vote for Obama back in 2008 (and ever since), ha, because that was a hard spell to break. As 2Vermont said, I really have to be patient. It's miraculous that she follows me in anything given how much her parent's despise me and the fact that she lives with them.

I'll always advocate young marriages in accordance with thousands of years of tradition because it's easier to plant 2 juvenile pear trees mere inches apart than it is to take 2 fully grown giant sequoias and plant them even a dozen feet apart. The roots of the juveniles will intertwine and grow together. But the roots of the adults are already too strong and stubborn and set in their direction to possibly accommodate the other. What a meticulous and painfully tedious task for the farmer, to arrange hundreds of pounds of roots in such a way that both trees can even survive next to each other.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pope Francis is shaking things up, and the Conservatives don't like it - by US_Soldier - 08-21-2013, 08:10 PM