The Experiences of Homosexual Trads

I am starting this thread, inspired by how the Uganda, Christ and gay people thread (in the Secular News, Politics, & Social Issues" sub-forum) is turning out. My last posts in that thread included:

Quote:There are lots of homosexuals who are trads -- or trads who are homosexuals, however you want to look at it. God bless them. I am always amazed by the bravery some homosexuals have in "outing themselves" in a Christian venue, such as this forum. While in the secular world, it takes little bravery to come out (except maybe to one's family and friends), in some Christian circles there is such sloppy thinking and sloppy talk about this topic that letting others in those circles know you're homosexual takes guts, it seems to me. There's such a backlash against what the activist homosexualists are doing that some Christians forget their Catechism and, worse, forget the Two Great Commandments Jesus Himself gave us:  to love God, and to love our neighbor. Backlash always leads to backlash which leads to backlash. I wish folks would remember that when they think and talk about homosexuality and homosexuals, about women and misogyny and feminism, about protecting children and keeping them innocent without making them ignorant, etc. It's all so stupid.

... I think -- and hope -- that you're wrong about Catholics of all stripes not wanting homosexuals to be able to conduct their lives with integrity in terms of just being and revealing who they are. At least I can say this:  on this forum, homosexuals are MOST welcome. Not just welcome to be here and post, but to post about their struggles, their identities, their feelings, how they go about remaining chaste, how they pick themselves up if they stumble, and so on. I'm a traditional Catholic INFJ and I run this place. That's just how it's going to be.

In response, I got this:

Ptochos Wrote:As my bravery - well, there is a certain anonymity in an online group. And I have a gift for skipping over the truly unpleasant things people might say online. However, I'd never "come out" to my parish as a whole and would only do so in the Confessional and perhaps with close friends in the parish.

You are right, though. It is much easier to be an active homosexual in the world than to be a chaste SSA person in the traditional Catholic world. Perhaps that is why I keep a foot in both worlds - the TLM world and the NO world. There are very holy, devout, orthodox Novus Ordo Catholics out there - even in a diocese as liberal as Baltimore's.

First, I find it interesting that Ptochos seems to include the "NO world" in with "the world," which he distinguishes from "the TLM world." Interesting -- and telling!

Second of all, I find it heartbreaking that he finds it easier to be a "chaste SSA person" in the "Novus Ordo world" than in "the TLM world." I want that to change. Not just for him, but for ALL homosexuals who love Christ and Tradition. Like I said in my post above, "on this forum, homosexuals are MOST welcome. Not just welcome to be here and post, but to post about their struggles, their identities, their feelings, how they go about remaining chaste, how they pick themselves up if they stumble, and so on. I'm a traditional Catholic INFJ and I run this place. That's just how it's going to be." And I wish for the entire trad world to be that way for homosexual trads. I want for folks of all types, all races, all ethnic groups, with all sorts of disorders and struggles and temptations, to be able to be "real" about who they are, loved for who they are, helped on their journeys, and inspired to refrain from sin and love God and each other. (I know that makes me "a fag hag" to some folks on a certain other forum. Fine by me. If my above sentiments make for "a fag hag," then a fag hag I proudly am.)

So, to that end, I am wanting in this thread to hear about the experiences, feelings, and thoughts of traditional Catholic homosexuals. I want to know what it is like for them to be trad and homosexual, how they navigate things, whether they feel as if they can be honest in traditionalist circles about who they are, what fears (if any) they have about that, what they think other trads can do to help them on their journeys, things they would like to see changed about how some trads talk about the issue of homosexuality and about homosexuals, things that other trads might not understand and which they'd like to explain, their thoughts about linguistic matters as they touch on this topic (e.g., "homosexual" vs. "gay" vs. "SSA," and so forth), etc.

If there's a homosexual trad out there who has something to say but who doesn't want to be "out," that person can send me an email and I will post it for him/her, removing anything that could identify that person, and all with the promise to never, ever reveal that person's identity (my email: tracy@fisheaters.com ).

For the sake of reference, here's the Catechism on the topic of homosexuality:

Catechism Wrote:Chastity and homosexuality

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,141 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."142 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

So, thoughts, please? Ideas? Feelings? Fears? Things you wish straight trads knew? Things you wish you could change about "the trad world" in general with regard to how it handles homosexuality and treats homosexuals? Experiences you've had that have helped -- or hurt? Talk to us! Teach us something...

Messages In This Thread
The Experiences of Homosexual Trads - by VoxClamantis - 02-26-2014, 04:23 PM