The Experiences of Homosexual Trads
Men with SSA are not barred from religious life.  They are only barred from the priesthood.

Whether a man with SSA is called to religious life depends, among other things, on his ability to practice continence.  I have heard that men with SSA can make particularly good monks and I agree with that.

In the Orthodox Church, it is said that in the monastery, each monk is, in a real sense, married to all the other monks.  It is a divinely sanctioned form of "same sex marriage," as it were.

For an idea of what this looks like, I would recommend Spiritual Friendship, by St. Aelred of Rievaulx.  Here is a particularly moving passage in that book:
Quote:The day before yesterday, as I was walking around the monastery's cloister, the brothers were sitting around it, forming a circle of the greatest love.  I marveled, as if in the midst of the delights of paradise, with the foliage, flowers and fruits of each single tree around me.  In that multitude I found no one whom I did not love, and who, I felt sure, did not love me.  I was filled with such joy that it surpassed all the delights of this world.  Indeed, I felt my spirit poured out into all, so that I could say with the prophet:  "Behold how good and how delightful it is for brothers to dwell together in unity."

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Experiences of Homosexual Trads - by Clare Brigid - 03-04-2014, 03:31 PM