The Catholic Church forbids circumcision for any reason!
(02-28-2014, 09:12 PM)austenbosten Wrote: I'm not shouting and people are free to have their views, but when people go on and on about circumcision being this great evil and people who get circumcisions or circumcise there kids are lower than rats, that's where I draw the line.

As for you accusing me of accusing others being hysterical....calling parents who circumcise their children for therapeutic reasons and placing it on the same level as rape...IS being hysterical in my book. If you think I'm going to far, then so be it. But most people I know (those without an agenda) would call that going to far, in fact some people have mentioned it was going too far.

I wasn't even referring mostly to this thread. You accuse folks of "hysteria" and being "emotional," of "yelling" and such as a habit. You've done it to me many times even though such accusations weren't even close to true.

I don't see circumcision as "rape." I do see it as the amputation of a healthy body part for no sound medical reason in the overwhelming majority of the cases. I also see it as something the Church teaches against, which She does.

(02-28-2014, 09:12 PM)austenbosten Wrote: Also I am indifferent on the issue. If parents wish to circumcise or not...it's their business. I'm not as biased on it, as opposed to say vaccinations. However the Church Teaches against religious circumcision. So you're wrong on trying to draw more out from St Paul and attach it to all forms of circumcision.

If Catholic parents wanted to do a bris, I'd be against it and tell them NO cause of Church Teaching. If they circumcise or not circumcise on the grounds of medicinal or therapeutic reasons, then it's their choice.

Either way we won't seem to agree on this and I'm going to back off. I don't have a dog in this fight or a bone to pick, it's not worth my time or energy.

I haven't even referred to St. Paul. The Council of Florence is what the OP spoke of, and then there's the Catechism: "Except when performed for strictly therapeutic medical reasons, directly intended amputations, mutilations, and sterilizations performed on innocent persons are against the moral law."  Some parents might think that routine circumcision is "therapeutic," but they are wrong according to the American Medical Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Cancer Society, the Canadian Paediatric Society, etc.

So if the above medical associations are right, and the Church teaches against "directly intended amputations, mutilations" not performed for strictly therapeutic reasons, if Christians have been taught by the Church to not cicumcise for religious reasons and in light of the above teaching from the Catechism, then why circumcise? The only reason left that I can think off is "Daddy's circumcised, so Junior should be, too." And that doesn't strike me as a good reason for lopping off body parts that go to making the marital act much more pleasant for both husband and wife.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Catholic Church forbids circumcision for any reason! - by VoxClamantis - 02-28-2014, 09:37 PM