Ten Ways Noah’s Ark Prefigured the Church
(03-26-2014, 05:52 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote:
(03-26-2014, 05:17 PM)cassini Wrote: The theology of the Ark is indeed spelled out here Vox. I note from the website the author was once a Protestant before converting to Catholicism. Were it not for Protestant creationism, this theology would have been lost to Catholicism.

(snip)

I'm a little bit lost here because all of the citations were from the Church Fathers. It's from the Fathers that all these ideas come.

What I am saying Vox is that the theology of the Ark depends on the fact that there was an Ark and a global flood with no question of a surviving human or animal for that matter (otherwise why put animals in the Ark?). Its a long time since Catholics believed in that global flood. Protestant creationism has kept faith in a global flood and in their belief the above theology still applies, not in any Catholic dictionary version of it. 

Here from NEW ADVENT Catholic Encyclopaedia:

Universality of the Deluge
The Biblical account ascribes some kind of a universality to the Flood. But it may have been geographically universal, or it may have been only anthropologically universal. In other words, the Flood may have covered the whole earth, or it may have destroyed all men, covering only a certain part of the earth. Till about the seventeenth century, it was generally believed that the Deluge had been geographically universal, and this opinion is defended even in our days by some conservative scholars (cf. Kaulen in Kirchenlexikon). But two hundred years of theological and scientific study devoted to the question have thrown so much light on it that we may now defend the following conclusions:

[size=10pt][size=10pt]The geographical universality of the Deluge may be safely abandoned[/size][/size]

Neither Sacred Scripture nor universal ecclesiastical tradition, nor again scientific considerations, render it advisable to adhere to the opinion that the Flood covered the whole surface of the earth.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Ten Ways Noah’s Ark Prefigured the Church - by cassini - 03-28-2014, 04:15 PM