Medieval Mass allegory
This book may (or may not) be what you're looking for :
http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/200...turgy.html

The Angelic Doctor says:

Part III – CANON AND THE CONCLUSION OF THE MASS

A) CANON OF THE MASS
[i][i]The signs of the Cross in the Canon symbolize the Passion of Christ, which was consummated on the Cross, therefore each stage of the Passion is expressed by signs of the Cross.

Summa: 1 st Stage of the Passion : TE IGITUR - CHRIST WAS HANDED OVER: symbolized by the 3 +'s: given over by 1) God (cf. John 3:16), 2) Judas, and 3) the Jews (Haec + dona, haec + munera, haec + sancta sacrificia...)

Summa: 2 nd Stage of the Passion : QUAM OBLATIONEM - CHRIST SOLD: signified by the 3 +'s: sold to the priests, Scribes, and Pharisees (benedictam, adscriptam, ratam...)

Summa: 3 rd Stage of the Passion : CONSECRATION - the Last Supper: The CROSSES signify his prefigured passion at the Last Supper (IIIa q. 83 a. 5, ad 3)
Summa: 4 th Stage of the Passion : UNDE ET MEMORES - the Passion Itself: 5 +s = 5 WOUNDS: hostiam puram, sanctam, etc.

Summa: 5 th Stage of the Passion : SUPPLICES TE ROGAMUS - Extension of the Body and Pouring out of the Blood: 3 +'s = stretching of His Body (corpus), pouring out of His Blood (et sanguinem sumpserimus), and the fruit of His Passion (omni benedictione…) (IIIa q. 83 a. 5 ad 3)

Summa: 6 th Stage of the Passion : PER QUEM HAEC - Triple Prayer on the Cross: 3 +'s during Per quem haec = 3 PRAYERS of Christ on the Cross:
sanctificas: for persecutors; Father forgive them...

vivificas: freedom from death; My God, my God...

benedicis: pertains to the attaining of glory; In manus tuas...

Summa: 7 th Stage of the Passion : PER IPSUM - Three Hours on the Cross: 3 +'s with Host suspended over the chalice = 3 HOURS that Christ was suspended on the Cross. (IIIa q. 83 a. 5 ad 3)

Summa: 8 th Stage of the Passion : EST TIBI DEO PATRI - Death of Christ: 2 +'s made with the Host separated from the chalice symbolize the SEPARATION of the Soul from the Body. (IIIa q. 83 a. 5 ad 3)

Summa: 9 th Stage of the Passion : PAX DOMINI - Resurrection after 3 Days: 3 +'s with the Particle over the chalice = the RESURRECTION on the 3rd day. (IIIa q. 83 a. 5 ad 3)

source: www.fssp-tulsa.org/documents/Latin%20Mass%20Presentation%20Notes.pdf

Messages In This Thread
Medieval Mass allegory - by loggats - 04-01-2014, 07:44 PM
Re: Medieval Mass allegory - by VoxClamantis - 04-01-2014, 09:22 PM
Re: Medieval Mass allegory - by Fontevrault - 04-01-2014, 09:33 PM
Re: Medieval Mass allegory - by Heorot - 04-01-2014, 09:47 PM
Re: Medieval Mass allegory - by loggats - 04-02-2014, 10:57 AM
Re: Medieval Mass allegory - by Gidge - 04-02-2014, 01:22 PM