Rules for avoiding Bad Books, Films, Magazines, Internet, Etc.
My issue with these lists of Forbidden Books is that they assume that the reader is a vacuous sponge-brain that never questions what he is told.  I'm sure that people in my grandparents' generation were told to avoid lots of bad books (and later bad TV shows and other bad media) because in that generation it was not acceptable to question anything.  Back in the day, to become an author meant something... You had to have something to say, and some sort of qualification to say it.  In our time, it doesn't take much to be an author.  I'm sure if I wanted to, I could self-publish a book filled with whatever detritus my mind came up with.  Or I could fill a blog up with that same detritus in shorter increments--or perhaps I could be a Twitterer and churn out even smaller bursts of stream of consciousness "musings."  It doesn't take much to be an author and the internet affords you a certain closeness with your consumers.  You don't have to be an "expert" or even be a talented artist.  And so rather than an Index of Forbidden Books (and of course TV shows, movies, blogs, publications, YouTube feeds, podcasts, Twitter accounts, apps and websites), I think we need authentically Catholic education that stresses the pursuit of Truth--and a critical thinking style that can sift it out from all the lies. 

Messages In This Thread
Re: Rules for avoiding Bad Books, Films, Magazines, Internet, Etc. - by Chestertonian - 04-09-2014, 04:26 PM