Front and Center - the Tabernacle
(06-25-2014, 03:19 PM)Copeland Wrote:
(06-25-2014, 03:10 PM)SaintSebastian Wrote:

I think such designs were sometimes done in such a spirit, more so as the original liturgical movement lost steam, but the idea of "singularity of image" was most certainly not Protestant. I disagree with it in that I think a "multiplicity of images" can actually enhance the focus on and appreciation for the Sacrifice--for example, the crucifix, tabernacle, altar, priest, and Sacrifice, all in one line of sight surrounded by images of the Saints and the heavenly host all bring forth and make more visible the underlying realities of the Eucharist.  But wanting the sacrifice on the altar to be even more the focus of worship is not Protestant (even if the means taken to do so may have been misguided), since it was intended to lead to a hyperfocus on the one thing Protestants traditionally consider the most blasphemous.

At what point do we realize we made a horrible mistake and do an about face?
[/quote]

I think many people already do realize that--traditionalists, many conservative Catholics, most Eastern rite Catholics (for the most part, I think, not really affected so much by that), and certainly virtually all Orthodox who know anything about this and care at all.  Doing an about face is a little more problematic, I think.  That would involve getting many, many more people to realize the horrible mistake (epitomized, I think, in VII and the so-called "spirit of VII") and then, well...re-building the Catholic Church and a great many of it's parish churches, or at least doing significant interior restorations, all of which costs lots of $$$$.

Now, if you're *just* referring to the placement of the Tabernacle, that seems much less problematic to fix.  Get enough of the bishops to realize it should have centrality of place and prominence and get them to instruct their priests to move it.  Now, how you get bishops to see these things and to act on them is probably above my pay grade.  Simpleton and naive that I am, I'm the sort that just might write a letter directly to the bishop pointing these things out and asking him to "fix" it.  Luckily, the problem of the placement of the Tabernacle doesn't exist in the two parishes closest to me.  It did in one, but they solved it a couple of years ago.  And that in one of the butt-ugliest and most protestantized Catholic churches I've ever seen or set foot in.

Messages In This Thread
Front and Center - the Tabernacle - by Poche - 06-25-2014, 04:10 AM
Re: Front and Center - the Tabernacle - by SCG - 06-25-2014, 08:59 AM
Re: Front and Center - the Tabernacle - by SCG - 06-25-2014, 09:02 AM
Re: Front and Center - the Tabernacle - by SCG - 06-25-2014, 09:47 AM
Re: Front and Center - the Tabernacle - by J Michael - 06-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Re: Front and Center - the Tabernacle - by Poche - 06-26-2014, 12:18 AM
Re: Front and Center - the Tabernacle - by Poche - 06-26-2014, 12:19 AM
Re: Front and Center - the Tabernacle - by Poche - 06-27-2014, 01:28 AM