Scola: Four Solutions for the Divorced and Remarried
(09-26-2014, 10:04 AM)SCG Wrote: Yes, that sounds right. Also, many older cradle Catholics (50 and up) consider themselves Catholic no matter what. The Church is like a “family” that you don’t ever leave or disown. This is the religion they were born into – this is the religion they will die in.

Yes, I know many of my mother's generation is like that. They consider themselves Catholic, but couldn't even tell you the name of the priest at "their" parish.

(09-26-2014, 10:04 AM)SCG Wrote: On the other hand, there is a new breed of Catholics born in the last 40 or so years I’d say, who would have no qualms about joining another church if they can’t get their way in the Catholic Church. OR they just don’t care what religion has to say…Period. I don’t know if you’ve seen the latest Pew Research statistics on marriage and annulments, how drastically they’ve gone down, down, down in the last 40 years. People aren’t seeking marriage in the Catholic Church as much as they used to, and if the marriage fails they aren’t going to bother seeking an annulment either.

That too is very true. Although I have to say, it's the young (under 40) that tends to be most interested in the traditional practices of the Church. It's sort of an extreme, either completely apathetic or basically rebelling against their apathetic parents and getting heavily invested in the Church. But I've commented before on the "church shopping" mentality that is so prelevant among my generation (I'm 37).

Quote:On the other hand again (I’m running out of hands! lol) I don’t know why the clergy are making such a big issue of divorced and remarried receiving Communion when a huge number of them obviously don’t care. They might receive at a relative’s wedding or funeral and feel insulted when the priest makes the announcement that “only practicing Catholics in a state of grace can approach the communion rail.” They get huffy and then forget about it until the next time they darken the doorway of a church, which is the next wedding or funeral.

That's a good question. Who is making the big deal? Is it the clergy or the people? And there are so so so sooooo many things that people do these days that would actually keep them from receiving Communion these days, it's just one thing among many. Maybe it's this trend to perceive marriage as a human right (it's not)?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Scola: Four Solutions for the Divorced and Remarried - by PrairieMom - 09-26-2014, 11:41 PM