Fathers prayer over the first born?
My mother sent my sister and I the below message:

Quote:These prayers are for you both and you need to say them for your children.  Daddy needs to say it over [me] and [my older sister].  This will wipe out any curses, addictions etc in our family:

THE FIRST BORN:
THE REDEMPTION & PRAYERS FOR THE FIRST-BORN IN CHRISTIAN HOMES!
Being the text of My Message to the gathering of the First-Born!
The word, though casually taken in the church today in a metaphorical sense, is most generally used by the Old Testament writers to designate the first male child in a family.
The first-cast male animal is, in the English Bibles, termed "firstling".
The firstlings, both human and animal, being considered as the best representatives of the race, because its blood flows purest and strongest in them, were commonly believed, among the early nomad Semitic-tribes, to belong to God in a special way.
Hence, very likely, the custom of sacrificing the first-cast animals; hence also the prerogatives of the first-born son; hence, possibly, even some of the practices which found in a few pages of the history of Israel.
Among the Hebrews, as well as among other nations,
The First-Born enjoyed special privileges....

It continued and she even sent an email part 2.  It sounded foreign to me, I don't remember seeing anything like this in the "How to be Catholic" section of this website.  I am worried it is a heresy, so I emailed her asking where she got it from, here was her response:

Quote:I googled the prayer.  I think I did Firstborn Prayer Blessing.  I think you can do the Jeswish version of Torah first son blessing.  I
was surprised to see it is meant also for whomever was the first born from the mother.

I got the idea when I watched an EWTN show called "Journey Home".  There was a Jewish man who turned Catholic and began
telling his story.  I caught the tail end of it but what he said made sense to me.  He made a comment that normally you do not
see a practicing Jewish man who is poor or addicted to drugs and alcohol or mentally unstable.  The Jewish are normally well off
financially.  He surmised that it is because traditionally the Father will always recite a prayer over their First Born Son.  It is the
father's blessing that brings God's Blessing on the son and the family.  The Jewish families have been performing this tradition
for years.  He said it wipes out any evil or generational curses through the family like addictions, mental illness etc. 

Since my Father was a hitman and his whole family alcoholics before him and alcohol abuse and mental illness after him, I decided that
it couldn't hurt so why not have Dad say a blessing over you?  I told [my Aunt] about it and she is having [my Uncle] do the same
for [their son].  I thought perhaps you might want to bless your son too!

My mind is blown, a Jewish prayer?!  :O

Is there any reason for a Catholic to perform something like this?  Doesn't baptism wash away all sin?  Any help would be appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
Fathers prayer over the first born? - by Rick4367 - 01-13-2015, 09:41 AM