Good topic to write about?
(03-03-2015, 03:18 PM)ArturoOrtiz Wrote: So I am currently taking a world History class (1500s - 2015)

As a project I need to write a minimum of 6 pages touching upon an idea, event, or invention that has happened since that particular time period and describe whether I think it was a good thing or a bad thing. I need to describe the overall impact that the particular thing had on the world and explain whether they were good effects or bad.

I want to use this project as a means of evangelizing. I would like to write about a topic that is in some way related to the Catholic Church

What are good topics to write about?

Some of the topics that come to mind are:
The Enlightenment
The Reformation
The French Revolution
The development of the modern State

These topics are certainly interesting, but are much too broad for an "at least 6 page" paper.  Several volumes have been written, and several more could probably still be written on each of those subjects.

The enlightenment influenced the French Revolution, and was in turn influenced by it.  The development of the modern state (the republic) is a result of the revolutions that swept across Europe and European colonies.  Many of these events happened- at least in part- as a result of the protestant reformation, because the desire for religious freedom, and the anti-religious sentiment that thrived under the 18th, 19th, and 20th-century European and European colonial revolutions was most felt by unfaithful subjects of Catholic, Anglican, and Orthodox monarchies.

I suggest finding specific examples that portray the Church in a positive light.  The Blessed Martyrs of Compiegne and Pope Piux XII's assistance of the Jews during the holocaust (that's a really good one right there) are just a few examples.

Messages In This Thread
Good topic to write about? - by ArturoOrtiz - 03-03-2015, 03:18 PM
Re: Good topic to write about? - by Clare Brigid - 03-03-2015, 04:42 PM
Re: Good topic to write about? - by ArturoOrtiz - 03-03-2015, 06:32 PM
Re: Good topic to write about? - by Clare Brigid - 03-03-2015, 07:30 PM
Re: Good topic to write about? - by Poche - 03-04-2015, 12:27 AM
Re: Good topic to write about? - by Poche - 03-04-2015, 12:29 AM
Re: Good topic to write about? - by Neopelagianus - 03-04-2015, 01:12 AM
Re: Good topic to write about? - by Credidi Propter - 03-04-2015, 02:01 AM