Catholicism and eastern martial arts
(03-06-2015, 01:29 PM)J Michael Wrote:
(03-05-2015, 11:02 PM)Beardly Wrote: So far as tai chi  goes, I think what most people think is problematic is the theory of chi itself, which is supposed to tie into some eastern mysticism or something. Though honestly, all it ties into is a bad medical theory. And seeing as I know plenty of trad Catholics who buy into all manner of bad medical theories (don't vaccinate your kids, all chemicals in food are bad, conventional medicine is bad), and since I'm pretty sure there's at least a few tradies who still believe in humorism, I think it's really just a matter of picking your poison.

:afraidsmiley:

Which theory would that be, anyway?  And, as far as Tai Chi goes, there's far more to it's foundations and history than just any medical theory.  If you would look into it slightly more than just superficially you'd see that.  And, it doesn't take all that much looking into, either.

I'm mostly joking actually. Most of the problem people have with Tai Chi and related martial arts is the theory of chi itself, which is itself just a part of traditional Chinese medicine, together with Wu Xing (i.e. the five "elements," although that's a bad translation), yin and yang, and the rest. From a western perspective, this isn't mysticism--it's just a theory about health and the body. And from a western perspective, it has about as much weight as humorism, or, indeed, is the eastern equivalent of humorism. So honestly, one ought to be as wary reading Aquinas or Albertus Magnus on various issues relating to the body as one ought to be practicing Tai Chi, because they refer to humorism frequently, especially as relates to various sins (e.g., nocturnal emission can be a sin of negligence if it is due to a failure to ensure that there is not an excess of some humor, though I forget which in particular).

Now, I realize that Chinese medicine is not all there is to Tai Chi, just as it would be absurd to say that humorism is all there is to Aquinas or Albertus Magnus. I'm just pointing out the absurdity of staying away from Tai Chi on the basis of traditional Chinese medicine. Granted in a somewhat incendiary way.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Catholicism and eastern martial arts - by Beardly - 03-06-2015, 07:39 PM