Ghostly presence
Regarding the book 'Meditations on the Tarot' it is an open secret that its author is a man called Valentin Tomberg. A search on the internet will provide information about his background in theosophic, anthroposophic and occult lore.

Far from being Catholic as it claims to be - and as others claim it to be - the book is profoundly heterodox. There is no such thing as Catholic esotericism, that is a gnostic idea. 

In Catholicism everyone - rich, poor, young, old, stupid, clever, and so on - has access to the sacred mysteries, and they all recite their assent to those mysteries - otherwise known as articles of Faith - at Mass in the Creed. It is all there. There are no more mysteries to which maybe only the "inner circle" have access. The Gospel has this to say in Mat 11:25. "At that time Jesus answered and said: I confess to thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them to the little ones."

One example of the heterodoxy found in 'Meditations on the Tarot' is its blasphemy of the Holy Trinity. It puts forth the idea of a 'bi-polar Trinity' also called the 'luminous Holy Trinity'. What is this 'bi-polar Trinity', the perception of which is regarded as a higher sort of wisdom in the book? It is the union of Father-Son-Holy Spirit with Mother-Daughter-Holy Soul, and is symbolised by the hexagram. The roots of the idea of such a union are to be found in the Zohar, which is a work central to the teachings of the Kabbalah (Madonna will be pleased!)     

Another example of heterodoxy in the book is the twisting of the love that Catholics have for Mary into something else completely. First of all it states that Catholics already disregard dogmatic theology concerning the difference between 'the celestial Father and Mother' and love and honour both equally. It then looks forward to a time in the future when there will be 'the birth of the dogma raising maternal love to the level of the Holy Trinity'. How does this square with the humility of Mary? Answer: it doesn't.     

There are many more examples of heterodoxy, but I hope these two will suffice to alert faithful Catholics to the deceitful claims of this book. The Catholic Church has from time immemorial taught its members to steer clear of occultism in general, and the Tarot in particular.

On the eve of the Feast of the Annunciation let us remember what Mary said: "My soul doth magnify the Lord. And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. Because he hath regarded the humility of his handmaid; for behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed."

Messages In This Thread
Ghostly presence - by 51olds - 03-23-2015, 10:56 AM
Re: Ghostly presence - by Credidi Propter - 03-23-2015, 11:02 AM
Re: Ghostly presence - by Clare Brigid - 03-23-2015, 11:39 AM
Re: Ghostly presence - by Clare Brigid - 03-23-2015, 12:34 PM
Re: Ghostly presence - by Tantum Ergo Sacramentum - 03-23-2015, 01:03 PM
Re: Ghostly presence - by Dirigible - 03-23-2015, 01:32 PM
Re: Ghostly presence - by GangGreen - 03-23-2015, 01:51 PM
Re: Ghostly presence - by Clare Brigid - 03-23-2015, 02:03 PM
Re: Ghostly presence - by 51olds - 03-23-2015, 02:40 PM
Re: Ghostly presence - by VoxClamantis - 03-23-2015, 07:46 PM
Re: Ghostly presence - by TerraMariana - 03-24-2015, 06:23 AM