Perfect Contrition
(07-29-2015, 11:47 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: The grace of final perseverance cannot be merited. No amount of prayer in this life will guarantee our salvation, because, it is a free gift of God.

I'm confused by this, and I'm not sure I've said anything like it. St. Alphonsus de Ligouri warned that no one who would be presumptious on God's mercy... that is, they'd sin thinking they could just get forgiveness afterwards, would be sure of their salvation in anyway. In fact he went so far as to cast doubt even on their attrition during confession.

I don't see why God would deny salvation to someone who is genuinely asking for it. That goes against everything I've ever been taught about the value of Marian devotion, and God's willingness to forgive. I can't remember which saint said that even if you had just one second left of your life, in that one second by God's mercy, you could win all of eternity.

And since its by God's grace that we can merit anything, why should he withhold it from a person, except if the person didn't want to be saved?

I don't think what you say cast doubts whether a person can obtain final perserverance through prayer. The Church has never declared that the promises attached to Marian devotions like these, are to be held as wrong. St. Alphonsus de Ligouri considering the benefits of praying the rosary, and the devotion of the three hail maries, said that a sinner would either give up the sin, or give up these devotions.

Quote:And it is important to note that we can and must merit the reward of eternal life. Once in the state of grace, and maintained in the state of grace by God, we possess the principle by which we can merit our heavenly reward.

And by this is to be understood that we don't fall into mortal sin, but live virtuously. Correct?

Quote:This also answers the question about the rarity of perfect contrition.

Actually you don't answer that question, I've read what you posted, but you don't answer whether its rare or very common. Edit: Though I guess you meant to state 'We can't know'. That much was already clear, its the same with the number of people in Hell. I personally think it will be a small number, but not an extremely small number (i.e 1:35000). I'd hold with Fr. Garrigou Lagrange that likely a majority of Catholics are saved (though I'd preface that with 'practicing Catholics').

As for my opinion on the frequency of the contrition, I'd say its likely very common, and that most Catholics who regularly frequent the sacraments and the confessional, are also very likely to have perfect contrition so that when they pray for forgiveness, they are in fact forgiven, even before they've confessed their sins.

There's no room here for presumption either. Its not a get-to-sin free card. I don't think there can be much doubt that people who sin, thinking that they can just go to confession and in the confessional are just doing what is the cultural norm, don't even have attrition. On the other hand I don't doubt even for a second that even people caught in habitual sin, such as impurity, who employ all means recommended to them are forgiven each and every time they fall on their knees. Even if that's ten times per day.

Again that doesn't mean we can presume on it, but if we have a sinful habit that should not cause us to despair. God doesn't call people into the Church just to make them even more worthy of damnation. People should make an Act of Contrition, and keep on trying to live a holy life.

Messages In This Thread
Perfect Contrition - by BenedicamDominum - 07-29-2015, 02:54 PM
Re: Perfect Contrition - by MagisterMusicae - 07-29-2015, 03:51 PM
Re: Perfect Contrition - by PolishTrad - 07-29-2015, 04:06 PM
Re: Perfect Contrition - by MagisterMusicae - 07-29-2015, 04:25 PM
Re: Perfect Contrition - by PolishTrad - 07-29-2015, 04:29 PM
Re: Perfect Contrition - by Leonhard - 07-29-2015, 07:11 PM
Re: Perfect Contrition - by BenedicamDominum - 07-29-2015, 07:49 PM
Re: Perfect Contrition - by Poche - 07-29-2015, 11:31 PM
Re: Perfect Contrition - by MagisterMusicae - 07-29-2015, 11:47 PM
Re: Perfect Contrition - by MagisterMusicae - 07-29-2015, 11:57 PM
Re: Perfect Contrition - by Leonhard - 07-30-2015, 07:39 AM