What Happens One Hour After Drinking A Can Of Coke
(07-31-2015, 06:30 PM)Miles Immaculatae Wrote: A diabetic friend drinks Diet Coke.

There was some stuff recently about how Diet Coke is supposedly bad for you, but when I looked into it, it turned out to be over-hyped.

I am diabetic too. Is your friend overweight or does he have difficulty managing his blood glucose?

These two things are the most likely side-effects of aspartame consumption in diabetics. It blocks the satiating effects of carbohydrate and when eating carbs and taking aspartame, you will still crave the carbs and tend to eat more. Carbohydrate is 'kryptonite' to diabetics. It is a slowly released sugar compound and is often the ruination of a diabetic's attempts to regulate their sugar.  It was for me. I have counseled many a diabetic on this issue and just switching to another artificial sweetener is often all that is required, but even some of the others can have a more limited but similar effect. My personal favorite is stavia.

I don't know where you have obtained your information about 'diet coke' from, but the data are quite well indicative of aspartame being bad for controlling one's blood glucose. Non-diabetics (and possible diabetics as well), for instance, could develop learning difficulties and obesity from frequent consumption as well.*

Quote:*Findings from a study published in Trends in Endocrinology & Metabolism in 2013 found that artificial sweeteners are linked to obesity; they may increase the risk for diabetes, metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disease; and they may also increase the risk of learning difficulties.

“When the body responds normally to sugar, it signals that an intake of both calories and sugar has occurred so the body can release the hormones needed to prepare,” according to the study’s lead author, Susan Swithers, Ph.D., a professor of the department of psychological sciences and ingestive behavior research center at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Ind.
http://www.lifescript.com/diet-fitness/a...ealth.aspx

Messages In This Thread
Re: What Happens One Hour After Drinking A Can Of Coke - by Zedta - 08-02-2015, 10:57 AM