Bucking a Trend, Some Millennials Are Seeking a Nun’s Life
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/06/fashio...eslideshow

The Dominicans have a history in my life, so I see this article as very warming.

During my grade school years the sisters that helped with school teaching, and who were housed in a convent a few yards away from the school, were Adrian Dominicans. This was fitting because the school that I went to was named after St. Albert the Great, a Dominican Friar who taught the legendary St. Thomas Aquinas, who also was a Dominican Friar.

Since that 'chapter' no longer teaches, my grade school has hired a handful of sisters from the Missionary Sisters of Christ the King to aide in spiritual life, more than a decade of any sister's presence found within the school's system.  Of course, there is my confirmation name - St. Dominic - who was the founder of the Dominican Order. I did not make the Dominican connection between the name of the school, the sisters and the Sinsinawa Dominicans (mentioned below) till recently.

I then matriculated to an all-male high school whose "sister" school was associated with the Sinsinawa Dominicans.  Both the Adrian and and Sinsinawa Dominicans appear to be more "worldly" sisters, and have left their original habits once worn - it also seems they have not seen much growth in attracting potential young woman when compared to orthodox 'chapters' such as The Summit Dominicans.

Add to the fact that this past July I  bought a rosary from The Summit Dominicans, I am very glad that the NYT ran a well-written article and beautifully photographed life of these women. Maybe it's a sign? Maybe not - just a coincidence.

Smile

Messages In This Thread
Join the cloistered life. Be a "real" rebel. - by GRA - 09-09-2015, 09:41 PM