Salvation in the "Dark Ages"
(10-26-2015, 06:55 PM)Gwaredd Thomas Wrote:
(10-26-2015, 01:38 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: The Faith, in some respects, is a living, breathing organism. The truths she teaches are immemorial, but the practices evolve in time. Things like the rosary were introduced at a moment in time when we *needed* it, collectively, as a Church.

As for the statue thing, the statue is representative of someone, such as a photo, right? Have you never put photos in a casket? Burned photos of someone you've been scorned by? The image is powerful, and serves as a proxy... I agree the waving a white flag thing to be a bit odd, but it's symbolic.

Well, a Canadian. How's the PC doing in the great wilderness? Not too well from what I read. As for the statues I get it and always have; I was referring to Protestants. Anyway, I've been around Tradition for over 20 years so I believe I have a fairly good grasp of things Catholic. Nevertheless, I'm just not a Rosary person. My preference is for the Breviary. I also belong to the Living Rosary Association whereby I pray my Dedicated Decade every day; that is the best I can do. And I'm not a procession person. People probably think I'm some sort of heathen but that's just the way things are. I think most Traditional Catholics have their own set of devotions of which they are especially fond. I've always been a person who goes my own way. This is not to imply that I abide by the old canard of "do whatever you want when you want." No, no, no. I'm just a slugger trying to get along with my Faith as best I can given that the present state of the Church in it's human element which is going to hell in a hand-basket.

Cymru am byth!

Aside from the Mass the most important prayer of the Church is the Divine Office, so if you pray the breviary you are already deeply entering into the prayer of the Church. I too prefer the breviary to the rosary, but to each his own I guess. The rosary is a beautiful, rich devotion but it's not necessary for salvation. The beauty of the Church  is that there is something for everyone.

I'm in love with the full traditional Benedictine breviary, and I love Gregorian chant and the saints of the dark ages through the 12th century, especially the Cistercians like St Bernard, but aside from all that I'm basically more Slavic in my approach, my theological interests and my piety. I too do my own thing somewhat. Just try and find a niche where you can deepen your own relationship with our Lord and rejoice that the Church has something for everyone.

Messages In This Thread
Salvation in the "Dark Ages" - by Gwaredd Thomas - 10-26-2015, 11:54 AM
Re: Salvation in the "Dark Ages" - by ermy_law - 10-26-2015, 12:30 PM
Re: Salvation in the "Dark Ages" - by ArturoOrtiz - 10-26-2015, 12:42 PM
Re: Salvation in the "Dark Ages" - by PrairieMom - 10-26-2015, 01:38 PM
Re: Salvation in the "Dark Ages" - by GangGreen - 10-26-2015, 02:03 PM
Re: Salvation in the "Dark Ages" - by salus - 10-26-2015, 06:54 PM
Re: Salvation in the "Dark Ages" - by formerbuddhist - 10-26-2015, 07:45 PM
Re: Salvation in the "Dark Ages" - by GangGreen - 10-27-2015, 03:57 PM