Pope signals possible limited opening contraception in Zika cases
The most disturbing thing is how this is being reported. Most non-Catholics I see discussing this, as well as uninformed Catholics, seem to truly believe the Pope has given permission for women in Zika-affected areas to use birth control pills.  Only a tiny minority even know what he actually said, and only a tiny minority of those have any reason to correct the misinterpretation.  A fair number of people, I suspect a majority, believe that Pope Francis says that homosexual behavior is acceptable. When I have tried to explain that he didn't, people don't believe me and assume that I am just a bigot who is twisting the Pope's words. This situation is almost worse than that one because it affects more people and the Pope was even more ambiguous.

What's missing from the Pope's comments, of course, is logic. There are worse things than Zika. I can think of about ten situations off the top of my head right now that make pregnancy undesirable in a manner on par with Zika. If contraception is okay for Zika, it's okay for those situations too.  And if contraception is situationally appropriate, it makes the most sense to leave it up to couples. All of a sudden you have the very situation "Byzantine" describes above. Unfortunately, you also have the refutation of the Church's claim to be the true Church. If contraception is objectively acceptable, and the Church has taught against it, the Church isn't really the Church. I think some people (and perhaps some popes) don't realize what dangerous ground they tread.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pope signals possible limited opening contraception in Zika cases - by Optatus Cleary - 02-19-2016, 11:17 AM