Pope signals possible limited opening contraception in Zika cases
(02-23-2016, 09:52 AM)SaintSebastian Wrote: Honestly, I'm not sure what the controversy is about that event.  I don't see anything wrong with it if it did happen--and it is very much distinguishable from the current suggestion.

Non-abortive contraception in the case of rape, as a repelling of or holding oneself back from an unjust attacker, seems justified.  Take the most basic form of contraception: coitus interruptus.  Surely a woman would be justified in repelling an attacker or holding herself back from an attacker in this way. I don't see why this wouldn't also apply to other forms of contraception.

But a married couple using contraception for eugenic reasons would be ruled out by the doctrine definitively taught by the Church.

Also, as a side note, I have seem some people criticize the Pope for supporting eugenics by suggesting that concern about birth defects justifies the avoidance of pregnancy.  Again, I think the criticism is valid when it comes to contraception,  but eugenics is one of the justifications for NFP given by Pope Pius XII:

Pius XII Wrote:Serious motives, such as those which not rarely arise from medical, eugenic, economic and social so-called "indications," may exempt husband and wife from the obligatory, positive debt for a long period or even for the entire period of matrimonial life. From this it follows that the observance of the natural sterile periods may be lawful, from the moral viewpoint: and it is lawful in the conditions mentioned.
https://www.ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/P511029.HTM

So I think we need to make appropriate distinctions.  It's not problematic when it comes to rape victims (the episcopate has seemed unanimous in this regard with the various national policies for Catholic hospitals) and avoidance of pregnancy is not problematic when there is a likelihood of birth defects.  But using contraception to avoid pregnancy for eugenic reasons is the problem.

I don't think anyone is arguing that avoiding pregnancy because of the risk of disability isn't permissible. But if you're allowed to use contraception to prevent said pregnancies, it's the beginning of a very slippery slope as we've already seen in our society, that results in children with identifiable birth defects overwhelmingly being aborted. You cannot separate the two in this case - one pretty much unavoidably leads to another.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pope signals possible limited opening contraception in Zika cases - by PrairieMom - 02-23-2016, 11:57 AM