Words of Consecration at Mass
(12-06-2016, 04:04 PM)Paul Wrote:
(12-04-2016, 04:14 PM)yablabo Wrote: Hi,

If you check out the Papal Bull De Defectibus, you'll see under the section on "form" what Pope St. Pius V taught was the minimum necessary meaning to be conveyed:

If only it were that simple. :)

The full section is this:

Verba autem Consecrationis, quæ sunt forma huius Sacramenti, sunt hæc : Hoc est enim Corpus meum. Et : Hic est enim Calix Sanguinis mei, novi et æterni testamenti : mysterium fidei : qui pro vobis et pro multis effundetur in remissionem peccatorum. Si quis autem aliquid diminueret, vel immutaret de forma Consecrationis Corporis et Sanguinis, et in ipsa verborum immutatione verba idem non significarent, non conficeret Sacramentum. Si vero aliquid adderet vel detraheret, quod significationem non mutaret, conficeret quidem, sed gravissime peccaret.

And the words of Consecration, which are the form of this Sacrament, are these: For this is my Body. And: For this is the Chalice of my Blood, of the new and eternal testament: the mystery of faith: which for you and for many will be poured out in remission of sins. And if anyone should take away, or change anything of the form of the Consecration of the Body and Blood, and in that alteration of the words the words do not signify the same thing, the Sacrament is not confected. But if he should add or delete anything, which does not change the meaning, it is indeed confected, but he sins most grievously.

If the full formula were required, the last sentence wouldn't be there.

Thanks for your response to my post on your thread.  The words the priest uses as consecration formulae must "signify the same thing": the necessary sense for confection of the blessed Eucharist is contained in the formulae conveyed in de Defectibus.  My understanding of this is that if the priest says "for all" instead of "for many" or changes the order so that "the mystery of faith" occurs after the genuflexion, he has not changed the meaning or the substance of the formula.  The formula still signifies the same, but grave sin has occurred because he has changed the formula in an accidental (instead of a substantial) way.

-- Nicole

Messages In This Thread
Words of Consecration at Mass - by PDUBYA222 - 04-24-2016, 09:17 PM
Re: Words of Consecration at Mass - by Dominicus - 04-25-2016, 01:36 PM
Re: Words of Consecration at Mass - by PDUBYA222 - 04-25-2016, 11:51 PM
Re: Words of Consecration at Mass - by yablabo - 12-04-2016, 04:14 PM
Re: Words of Consecration at Mass - by Paul - 12-06-2016, 04:04 PM
Re: Words of Consecration at Mass - by Oldavid - 12-08-2016, 06:48 AM
Re: Words of Consecration at Mass - by yablabo - 12-25-2016, 11:05 PM
Re: Words of Consecration at Mass - by Paul - 12-26-2016, 10:03 PM
Re: Words of Consecration at Mass - by yablabo - 03-12-2017, 01:12 PM
Re: Words of Consecration at Mass - by Panum - 03-12-2017, 10:28 PM