Retaining Your Sanity Under Pope Francis: A Homily
(07-08-2016, 10:14 PM)Florus Wrote:
(07-08-2016, 01:45 PM)Dominicus Wrote: but I've never heard of him saying anything like "there is no such thing as baptism of desire", a heresy I hear come out of many sedevacantists.

I am not a sedevacantist, but please correct me if I am wrong. Isn't baptism by desire not a dogma of the Church? Isn't it just a pious opinion or theory, although a widely accepted one? Sort of like the theory of limbo? Or private revelations like Fatima? If that is the case, then it would be wrong to consider one a heretic for denying it. Although I could be completely wrong.
St. Thomas Aquinas taught it, and many Popes have said to follow the Angelic Doctor's teachings. The old copies of the Douay-Rheims have footnotes in some areas explicitly teaching BoD. As for BoB, Saint Emerentiana shed her blood for Jesus without being baptized in water, and she's a canonized saint. To me, this is a pretty open-and-shut case. I can't recall reading a specific proclamation of it being a dogma, but I would find denying it as least a misguided concept, if not a dangerous one. I would like clarification on this as well.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Retaining Your Sanity Under Pope Francis: A Homily - by In His Love - 07-09-2016, 12:15 AM