Before & After (The Vortex)
(08-03-2016, 01:55 AM)Estevao Wrote: SSA isn't a sin itself. Didn't this guy "come out" recently? I detect some self-hating gay vibe in this video and it's wild conclusions. I mean acknowledging that somebody may have SSA for the rest of their life is "destroying hope"? No, it's not.  :eyeroll:

He "came out" about this past but has said nothing directly, to my knowledge, about whether or not he still struggles with SSA -- until this video, which does seem to intimate that he no longer struggles what homosexual attraction. Whether he does or doesn't is none of my business whatsoever, of course, and IF he does, it doesn't harm his apostolate in my eyes at all. But I think he does a disservice to those struggling with SSA by getting them to count on the slim possibility that their homosexuality will disappear if they just strive for holiness.

Anyway, I totally agree with you that acknowledging the possibility, the probability (in the everyday sense of the term), that a homosexual will struggle with SSA for the rest of his life is in no way "destroying hope." It's being realistic, letting him know that he's in for a struggle to remain chaste, and letting him know that that struggle can be won. It allows him to acknowledge the reality of his life and not feel as if he has to hide his struggles because "now he's Catholic, so the gay should've disappeared by now." He can then ask for support and prayer, and not have to hide or feel ashamed for having a disorder.

Again, this isn't to say that some people's orientations can't change. Some -- a very few people's -- do. But it's not typical. If that's happened for Mr. Voris, then great! But he shouldn't assume his experiences are typical or, worse, that not experiencing what he might have is indicative of a "bad Catholic."

Messages In This Thread
Before & After (The Vortex) - by In His Love - 08-02-2016, 06:21 AM
Re: Before & After (The Vortex) - by VoxClamantis - 08-02-2016, 01:41 PM
Re: Before & After (The Vortex) - by In His Love - 08-02-2016, 09:46 PM
Re: Before & After (The Vortex) - by GangGreen - 08-02-2016, 10:57 PM
Re: Before & After (The Vortex) - by VoxClamantis - 08-03-2016, 12:03 AM
Re: Before & After (The Vortex) - by Estevao - 08-03-2016, 01:55 AM
Re: Before & After (The Vortex) - by VoxClamantis - 08-03-2016, 02:09 AM